School Community Council Fundraising
Each year Horizon School Division provides a grant in an amount determined annually by the Board of Education. However, schools may choose to engage in activities that benefit students but fall outside the typical realm of school programming and may support those activities through School Community Council (SCC) sponsored fundraising.
Following the Administrative Procedure, AP 520 – Fundraising, Horizon School Community Councils may hold fundraisers that reflect the values and expectations of the school community, including parents, students, staff, school administration, SCC, and the Board of Education.
Examples of acceptable uses of fundraising proceeds:
- Field trips or other school excursions;
- Guest speakers or presentations;
- Ceremonies, awards, plaques, trophies or prizes;
- Extracurricular activities and events (for example, travel, equipment and entry fees for sports competitions, school band, choir, clubs);
- Additional student learning or extracurricular resources, equipment, furniture, or technology that augment and complement Division-standard allocations, provided that the items conform to Division-standards and specifications; and
- Additional school grounds improvements , for example, playground equipment, gardens or greening initiatives, tracks, or fields, that augment and complement Division-standard allocations, provided that the items conform to Division-standards and specifications.
Successful fundraising ideas for schools are listed below:
- Drive a Ford/Buick;
- Breakfast/Lunch Program;
- Pancake Breakfasts;
- Mother's Day Tea;
- Hot Lunch;
- Santa's Workshop;
- Community Calendar;
- School Dances;
- Silent Auctions ;
- School Clothing Sales;
- Reading Bee; and
- Trip of The Month.